Friday, September 21, 2007

To paint or not to paint

We really want to paint the interior of the house. Right now all the walls are white and we would like to add some color. So we get all brave and head out to Home Depot. Spend about $300 and come home with more supplies that we need and enough paint for two bathrooms. Days pass because, truth be told, we're scared. Finally I start taping things off. No one tells you how much work that is. You try to be so careful and get the tape just right and seal it off so that no paint creeps underneath. Let me tell ya... taping bites!

Next comes the actually painting. Of course as soon as the boys see the brushes and cans come out, they are ALL over it. "I wanna paint too!" Um... let me think... NO! Back off kid! I lock myself in the bathroom and start the painting. I think, okay this isn't so bad. After about 15 minutes I look at the limited progress I've made and think to myself, "wow... this bathroom is bigger than I thought". But I preservere and get it done. Then I look around and realize, it does in fact need two coats. But I'm tired so the next day Mr. OCD does the second coat.

When I walk in after he's "done", I discover that he attempted to paint the ceiling as well. Now, we did this bathroom in yellow. Picture it now... yellow walls and a yellow ceiling. Are you feeling as if you're standing in the center of the sun? I think you see my point. So the ceiling now needs to be painted white again, crap!

Next comes the process of removing the tape that I so painstakingly applied. But of course, it's painted to the baseboards, window frames, door frames, you name it. If I taped it there, it's practically glued there now. Gotta get a box cutter to get it off. Did I mention tape bites?

Okay, we have a living room and a family room (both with high ceilings), 4 bedrooms, an office, 3 bathrooms, and the kitchen and dining room. Do I really want to go through all this for all of these rooms? Um... let me think again... HECK NO!!

We call in a painter for an estimate. I'm biting my nails as his quote is coming through the fax and just about faint when I see the total is $3,500. Mind you this does not include the kitchen (which will be painted during the remodel) or the other two bathrooms or the playroom. Please excuse me, I think I need to go be sick now...

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I just took a break from taping the upstairs hall way!

Oh and something that Home Depot doesn't tell you...wear a hat! Paint that dries in your hair will NOT come out, even weeks later when you go in the salon for your color touch up. It's been over two months now and I am sporting "Butter Yellow" in the front of my hair! I thought for sure the hair color would color over the paint, but uh huh.