Big J started flag football last Saturday. If you've never seen 4 year olds trying to play football, I'm here to tell you it's hilarious! The first day they just had different stations, one where you're running an obstacle course, one where you're throwing a ball, one catching a ball, etc. At the end they ran a play. This is were it got funny. The coach is telling the boys that he's going to do a fake handoff... like they have any clue what he's talking about. Once the play starts, the boy with the ball just runs like heck instead of hiking it to the player behind him. The poor coach is distraght that his beautiful play was completely ignored.
At one point last week, Big J's flag got taken by an overzealous boy. I say this because Big J didn't even have the football. This made my oversensative son start to cry. I wanted to say "there's no crying in football!!" (think Tom Hanks in A League of Their Own). But I held back, I don't want to be one of those parents, kwim?
So this week, they formed teams. First of all Big J got on a team with a lame name, didn't make him happy. Second, his team's shirts are white... how much fun is that? Third, he woke up only 1/2 hour before, so he was grumpy. Add all that to the thought of another kid taking his flag and what do you have on your hands? A boy in a white t-shirt that is standing still on the football field while the rest of his team is running their little hearts out.
Five more weeks to go...
Saturday, September 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That has got to be the cutest story ever! Never know...5 weeks can turn into 12 years really fast! (I played soccer for 12 years just in case you didn't know that.) I got a great mental image when I read your post. I can just see Big J, standing in the middle of the field, in his white shirt, grumpy pouty face, giving the overzealous boy the evil eye, wishing he was on the other team.
I had no idea that they had football for kids that young. My little man would adore that thought. He and J sound a lot alike!
Loved hearing the story!
Carrie
www.mountainrailway.typepad.com
Post a Comment