Yesterday as we were all (me, OCD, and B) sitting in the truck waiting for B's school to open, B noticed OCD was chewing gum. So of course, he asked if he could have some. We tried to tell him that it was hot (it was Big Red). He didn't buy it. He thinks like all children do... that their parents are no good and out to spoil any hint of fun or enjoyment they might encounter in this life. Where kids get this idea is beyond me. Anyway, we still had 10 minutes to wait, which is an eternity when you have a nearly 4 year old begging for something. Now normally we would tough it out. We (read 'I') don't parent by the theory of the path of least resistance. But we thought this might prove to be a good lesson of the lad. So we let him have a piece.
You can just picture the joy on his face as he was handed the stick of gum and brought it up to his lips. Then he happily started chewing, glancing back from his Dad to me. After about 18 seconds, his expression changed. But he was trying soooo hard not to show it. OCD said "is it good?" And B, unable to speak or admit defeat, just nodded in the affirmative. After about a minute, of what we can only imagine to be intense fire in his mouth, OCD wordlessly held out a tissue and B bent over and spit it out.
No one said a word about it, but I think we made our point.
Friday, January 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I am so glad you updated your blog. I check often to see how ya'll are. Email me sometime. I don't have your current email. I also have a blog...check it out.
http://jagjaglee.blogspot.com/
Ha! That's funny. One time when Anisa was about 5, she wanted to go into the pool (the plastic kind). It was still early summer and too chilly to go into the pool, besides, we hadn't filled it yet, so the water would probably be freezing. She bugged and bugged and bugged me. Finally, I said, "if I fill it, you WILL go in". She was happy and said ok. I filled it, she touched the water and said it was too cold. I reminded her that "if I filled it, she WOULD go in". She went in, bawling the entire time. Yeah, she didn't ask to go in again until it was much hotter outside. Parenting can be so much fun. :)
Post a Comment