Nothing goes smooth when I travel. Ever.
Three years ago, I was on a flight from Pennsylvania to Green Bay, with a connection in DC. My first fight was delayed causing me to run for my connection, which I barely made. However I had no seat assignment and literally stood by the bathrooms for half the flight.
Two years ago, it took me 38 hours to get from Green Bay, WI to Honolulu. Don't even ask.
This past Sunday was my scheduled return to Wisconsin from California. My original flight was at 6:55am. And from where I was staying that night, I would have to wake up at 3am. Well, I slept through my alarm and woke at 5am, which got me to the airport about the time that my flight was taking off. The next flight was overbooked, so they put me on stand-by for the flight after that one. Then that flight was delayed due to a mechanical problem. So I got on standby for the one after that, which I didn't end up getting on. The first standby was still grounded so I got back on that one and even got a confirmed seat. Then, after several hours, they cancelled it because they couldn't fix the mechanical problem. So, I automatically get on standby for the next flight, but I'm like number 53, so there's no way I'm getting out. All flights to Chicago on all airlines are booked and overbooked for the rest of the day. So I get a confirmed seat on a flight in the morning on a different airline, but my connection is with my original airline. (You following me here?)
I wait for 3 1/2 hours in baggage claim (seriously) to find out that my luggage went on to Green Bay. Call a friend (thanks Paula!) to come and get me and let me crash at her house for the night. Her sweet hubby even takes me to the airport in the morning.
Finally, I get on a plane heading for Chicago. Except, guess what? There's a "minor crack in the wing". So they send someone off to the hanger to pick up a new part. We wait (on the plane) for an hour while they fix it. Which makes me late for my connection.
Ultimately I made a later connection, but had to run through 3 terminals with a laptop hanging from my shoulder and carrying an audit bag weighting 47 pounds (I was too scared to check it).
There's no place like home.
Tuesday, April 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Welcome Home. I will never travel with you. Enough said. Did you enjoy our California Sun? Wish I could have seen you... xoxo
I totally understand.
I enjoyed the sun that I got to see. Most of the time I was working in an office in downtown LA (ick) or sitting in baggage claim at LAX (double ick).
Would've been nice to see you again. I really didn't get to see many people at all just because I was swamped with work while there. Next time!
Post a Comment