Monday, February 25, 2008

What's up with Dads?

Seriously, after nearly five years of this parenting gig, you'd think he'd have a clue.

Here was my Saturday...

Woke up before freaking dawn with the 3 year old. No exaggeration.

Have family of five fed, dressed and out the door by 9am. No small feat.

Missed Big J's first soccer practice. And can I just vent about this for a minute? Of course, it's my blog. Okay, so I missed it because I had to work at H&R Blockheads. I had let the brain dead receptionist know that I wouldn't be in until 11:00, but someone scheduled me an appointment for 10:00, and the client was unwilling to reschedule and I was the only one scheduled to come in. GRRRR!!!

Worked for about four hours with tons of technical problems. Finally closed up the shop when the network (which could be classified as an antique) crashed.

Get home to find my husband in the beginning stages of putting together a two shelf bookcase. I notice the time, glance at the 3 year old, and do a mental calculation of how much time we have before he has a "I need a nap" meltdown. I started to get really nervous when hubby asked for glue. Um... glue? For putting together a bookshelf?

Tension builds as the boys try to "help" Daddy.

FINALLY, after what seemed like a week, the bookshelf is done. I tell hubby I'm taking B up for a nap. He says, get this, "He needs a nap?" HEL-FREAKIN-LO????

So I'm trying to get B to sleep but the noise coming from downstairs sounds like hubby is putting on a room addition. And B is doing everything in is power to stay awake, including poking his eyes and slapping his own face.

FINALLY, after what seemed like three weeks, B fell asleep (a miracle considering the decibel level downstairs). I go downstairs and hear hubby hissing "Be quiet! B's trying to sleep!" Um... whatever, it's his voice I kept hearing.

Quickly and quietly, I get J dressed to play in the snow outside while I stack a half cord of wood in the garage (something hubby was supposed to do).

Now, since I wasn't planning on the network at Blockheads crashing, I didn't have anything taken out for dinner, so we went out for pizza. The booth they sat us at had some cracks in the seat. And of course the boys didn't want to sit on the cracks, as if they would swallow them up or something. Well, Daddy didn't have a clue as to how to handle this so I ended up sandwiched between them with only about 5 inches for my big butt to fit.

Okay, at this particular pizza place, it takes a LONG time to get your pizza. But it's the best place in town (IMHO) so we deal with it, or at least I deal with it. As the volume level at our table increases, I suggest to hubby that he take them downstairs to play in the arcade. Sweat immediately appears on his brow and he just looks back at me blankly. "Nevermind", I say. I take the boys down with a handfull of quarters to play race cars, over and over and over, until the pizza is finally ready.

And trust me when I tell you that bath and bedtime didn't fare much better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to tell you I am in tears I am laughing so hard. Dear friend you deserve the Mom of the year award, or at least the Mom of the month award. Love ya!