Eight years! I win!! If you don't know what that means, don't worry about it. Actually, it's kind of pathetic that I even care.
But, Mr. OCD and I have been married for eight years now. He tried to surprise me with a trip to Washington Island. I say "tried" because the fool used his debit card rather than a credit card to reserve the hotel room. Of course, I found out about it the day after he made the reservation. Opps.
It was our first time away from the kids overnight, at the same time. It felt very weird. We found ourselves saying "the boys would sooo love this" a lot. Especially when we spotted a van that someone had painted to look exactly like the Mystery Machine from Scooby Doo.
So, Washington Island. Ever been there? You're not missing much. A few bars and... well, that's it really. The hotel we stayed at was over 100 years old. It was sort of like a B&B. There were six other couples there and many of us found ourselves at this eclectic little place with live music and a half bar. The live music was seven dudes (and I use that term loosly) with various musical instruments. And the bar only served beer. It was sort of like a piano bar... minus the piano, add in a few guitars, a banjo, a bass, and some hand drums. The building itself used to be a general store, so it was just a big open room filled with some old (probably second hand) sofas and chairs. The ceiling was covered in some sort of textured metalic material. The lighting consisted of a variety of rummage sale lamps and random strands of Christmas lights. Now, I make it sound really cheesy, and maybe it was, but it was also a really good time (or maybe that was the beer talking).
After we left there, we headed to a bar with a long history. Actually it's one of the longest running bars in the country. It was even open during Prohibition. They say that they owner got some sort of pharmacy license and distributed "bitters" for whatever ailed you. Of couse, we had to partake. And let me just say... that stuff is NASTY! The funniest part was that they give you your last drink in a plastic cup so you can take it with you. I asked a girl (who happened to be our waitress earlier that night at another location) if the cops hang out and wait for people to leave the bars (like they do here). She just laughed and said, "Oh don't worry, he's asleep."
The night ended with a very drunk me laying on the front lawn of the B&B proclaiming how amazing the stars are when it's 2am and you're on an island in the middle of the Great Lakes. I don't remember much after that.
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
What I want to know is did they have roasted red pepper dip and carrots for you to snack on? LOL
Happy Anniversary! Sounds like a fun night out!
They didn't!! But that would have been so yummy! Have I told you how great that taste. I mean really, with some veggies or even tortilla chips? Really good... I'm just sayin...
;)
Didn't you have a similar experience on Catalina island??
Ah... drunk memories...
Except I puked in the hallway at the B&B on Catalina! This time I saved for for the next morning on the car ride home. ;)
So glad you got away! Your last few lines reminded me of the Luxor... you and me calling the front desk asking if they'd turn the "light show" back on, you know, just for us!? Did they HANG UP on us? ;-)
Congratulations on EIGHT years. I remember that lovely night aboard the Queen Mary like it was yesterday! xoxo
That is hilarious, Ter. I'm glad you guys had a fun time with no kids. We find ourselves out without kids alot, but we still talk about wishing the kids could see this or that.
Ah man... is it bad that so many of my stories start with "this one time when I was really drunk"...
Most of it feels like a lifetime ago...
I know exactly what you mean!! I've doubled their years now, but I was quite triumpant when I officially pulled ahead. Did you see the name of the blizzard? Allison. When we saw that we knew it was going to be a "bitch" of a storm!!
Post a Comment